Blog about my Ballparking Trips and reviews.

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Stade Municipal (Quebec)

Quebec Capitales, American Association

10/10

Firstly, I did not even own a camera at this point and as a result, have no photos. I will write at least a thousand words to make up for it.

Stade Municipal was the 6th pro ballpark I ever went to, back when I didn't go on Baseball specific trips, outside of the odd run to Seattle.  I was in Quebec for a month long course and made a point of looking to see if the local nine were in town, or even started. I was more than happy to note that the Capitales started their season the last weekend I was there. I went to two games here, one was opening night, on a Thursday, against the now-defunct New Haven Cutters. The second was the Sunday afternoon tilt. I had no idea what to expect, as I'd never been to an Independent league game and hadn't been to a minor league park since Telus Field, 6 years before. I ended up thoroughly enjoying my two games.

The park itself is a 1930's era ballpark. It definitely has a rustic feel to it. There is also a Stade Municipal in Trois-Rivieres(about an hour east of Montreal) that is exactly the same park, that park also hosts a team in the CanAm, Les Aigles(Eagles) who just finished their first season in 2013 and will be back for a second. I only found out while writing this article that the four CanAm teams have been absorbed into the American Association and will form their own CanAm Division starting with the 2014 season. It's not a total surprise though, as they had been playing an interlocking schedule for a few years now and with the league down to just four teams, it makes sense.

Probably my favourite thing about the Capitales was the atmosphere. With 2005 being the first season without the Expos, the Caps were Quebec's lone pro ballclub. The fans in attendance were clearly very interested in baseball above all else. When the Capitales needed a late inning rally, fans in Le Dugout Molson Ex began banging on empty seats, making quite a bit of noise. The announcements for the game were in French and English. Someone who only spoke English would have no trouble following along. My two games were opening night, on a Thursday, which was well attended and a sunday afternoon that saw a very light rain for most of the game. Some of my neighbours(who refused to stand for The Star Spangled Banner, haven't seen that before or since) asked me later on where New Haven actually was. It's in Connecticut. George Bush the elder played some college baseball there for Yale.

Concessions were simple, but cheap and of good quality. Ordering in English is ok, as most of the workers are students working summer jobs, but patience is a must, as you may not be understood the first time. There is some parking in the area, but it's possible to walk along the St. Charles river to go to the park, although at half an hour from downtown, it could be too long for some.

Overall, a trip to Stade Municipal is a pleasant outing, to a baseball first, classic ballpark. The atmosphere is just an added plus. For those who haven't been to Quebec, it's a good way to experience the province in only a few hours, although I'd highly suggest staying for longer. I give this park a 9/10, with the only knock being that it was a little dirty when I went, especially considering it was opening night. I would love to make a return trip and with parks now in Trois-Rivieres and plans for a second try at Independent baseball in Ottawa, it may be part of an all-Canadian road trip in the future.

Update 2016: The Capitales are still in the CanAm League, which has stopped the interlocking schedule with the American Association. If I re-rated the park according to the new scoring system, according to my 11 year old memory, I'd have to give it a point for each of Facility, Atmosphere and Food. I'd really like to go back this summer, it's been much too long.

Linescores
I have searched high and low for the scores of my two games here in 2005, with no luck to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment