Blog about my Ballparking Trips and reviews.

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Scottsdale Stadium

San Francisco Giants(Spring Training)

7/10
     The crowd assembles for a night game between the Giants and Indians

The last few minutes before game time in the Arizona Fall League in 2015.

         These seats would fill almost totally for the game.
This is the current Cactus League park for the San Francisco Giants, as well as the former home of the AAA Phoenix Firebirds and a site for some group games of the inaugural World Baseball Classic, in 2005. In the offseason, it sees Arizona Fall League Action. Also, my hometown Edmonton Capitals trained there in 2011, which turned out to be their last year.

The park is located centrally in downtown Scottsdale, which in turn, is northeast of downtown Phoenix by around 20-30 minutes. Scottsdale itself is probably the most affluent suburb of Phoenix, with lots of trendy restaurants and shops. If you plan on heading to a game here, planning to spend time in the area either before or after is well worth it.

The stadium itself is pretty standard for the Cactus League, there are three types of seating in the grandstand and an outfield berm. I was still in the process of checking off all the Cactus League parks and when I flew in for a 4 game in 3 day express vacation in 2011, I asked to head off to this one. My stepfather, who had been here several times, agreed, but pointed out that Scottsdale is probably the most expensive park in the Cactus League now, with outfield berm "seating" going for 25 dollars a head. Compare that to a front row seat in west valley parks like Goodyear or Surprise and it's hard to justify too many trips.

Still, I did enjoy the experience overall, a plucky young Cleveland side managed to down the Giants, who were just coming off their first championship since moving to SFO. We sat behind two girls from San Fran who asked me to take their picture and an older couple who had come out from Ohio to watch the Indians. They appreciated my answer when asked by my mother "Who's your second favourite team?" to which I replied, "Whoever's playing the Yankees."

I'd give Scottsdale Stadium a 7/10. It would be an 8, but the high prices for everything drive the rating down. I realize I don't have the greatest photos for this one and it's the only Cactus League park that I haven't been to more than once, so a trip in 2014 is a good bet.

Update 2016: I have thought a few times of making another trip here during Spring Training, but the fact of the matter is that Giants tickets have become some of the most expensive and sought after anywhere in the Cactus League. They also use a "floating" pricing model, so ticket prices vary from game to game. I couldn't find any good seats available just doing a search, so I don't know how much they even go for. I did get a fall league game in here in 2015 and got some better pictures in. I have no idea when I'll come back here, but I'd hope to get a Giants Spring Training game in here within the next five years at least.

Linescores
2011-03-24(Spring Training)
                       123    456    789   R H E
Cleveland          003   001    300     7 10 0
San Francisco   000   000    100     1   6  1
Temp:66F  Time: 2:30 Att: 10,292


2015-11-16
                                    123  456  789  R H E
Surprise Saguaros          300  000  400  7 10 0
Scottsdale Scorpions      001  101  000  3 7 3
Temp: 57F Time: 3:06  Att: 374

No comments:

Post a Comment