Blog about my Ballparking Trips and reviews.

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Recreation Park

Visalia Rawhide, California League

6/10


When the team changed from the Oaks to the Rawhide, the equipment shed got a makeover as a barn.

A relatively good crowd for a fireworks night.
Still, Visalia draws better than only Bakersfield in the league.

      The crowd mills around waiting for fireworks night to begin, while I sneak out to beat the traffic.



Recreation Park is the smallest in affiliated minors and advertises itself as the smallest pro ballpark in the US. It really is very small. There is about 1,700 seats behind the plate and about 500 more up the first base line. It's located in a residential/industrial area, around 7 minutes north of CA 198, the main freeway through town.
I went in 2009, on my way to Los Angeles, having been in San Francisco the day before. I caught a game between the hometown Visalia Rawhide and the Lake Elsinore Storm. It had recently been renovated, so there is an outfield barn as part of the wall, part of the team changing it’s name from the Oaks to the Rawhide, as a result of switching affiliations from Oakland to Arizona. The big knock is the “concourse” being right in front of the first row behind the aisle, where I sat. It meant that people would stop to watch the game and block my view. Tipper, the cow and Smokey the bear would stop to “entertain” the children right in front of me. It generally was one of the least enjoyable games on the trip. I wish that I’d have gone to maybe Modesto or Stockton instead. 
Most of the people who seemed like more baseball oriented regulars sat at the back. Either there or the front would be a good call. The middle, where I was, is pretty high traffic. This was back when I usually ate before I came, so I didn't try any food and don't remember anything about it.

The biggest knock I have on this place is that seemingly nobody was there to watch the game. The kids were loud and out of control on the concourse. I don’t normally care, but it made it impossible to follow the game. The Rawhide were apparently out of it late in the season, their best player having been summoned to AA Mobile, but still, wow. The people sitting behind me were complaining about the view from two rows up. If you want to see, you need to sit at the back. The attendance average was only about 1,500 all year and if this is it, I can see why. Attendance was only what it was because it was fireworks night, which allowed me to depart early. Even the mascot, Tipper the Steer had a rough night being both roped to the ground during a demonstration and kicked in the stomach by a teenaged girl sitting in my row. It’s a hard knock life.

Visalia is a city of roughly 90,000 just off of CA 99. It earns a brief mention as the possible next stop for Crash Davis in Bull Durham, as a possible manager. Nearby is the Sequoia National Park, which I made a brief stop at on the way out. You have to drive through Visalia on the CA 198 until it turns into a two lane highway, then keep on going. It's a bit expensive to get in, but was worth poking around. 

The best thing about Recreation Park is probably it's location within the State, it's almost equal distance between San Francisco and Los Angeles, with 198 connecting to CA 99 after only a few miles. Still, I would have gone to Fresno, just up the highway, if they'd been at home. You could easily drive to any Major or Minor league park in California within 5 hours(and even some outside of it), without much hassle.

Overall, it’s just way too small and crowded, Other than the lack of other good options, I don’t understand how the Cal league can put a team here, as they’re apparently locked in until at least 2019. After that, with Bakersfield being a constant candidate to move, look for Visalia to come up in the mix. Still, the fact that even now there's 5 years left on the lease might allow Visalia to hang around in the league for awhile longer. 

Update 2016: I still haven't been back here, but I really hammered it in retrospect. Under the new ratings system,  I can't offer any insight into the concessions here, the atmosphere was terrible and the park was adequate, if not small. That bumps this one up from a 4, which is now pretty hard to pull off, to a 6, which is a little more forgiving and in line with the other reviews on here.

Linescore 
2009-08-28 
                                            123    456    789    RHE
Lake Elsinore Storm(SD)        103    000    100    550
Visalia Rawhide(ARI)              000    010    000    171
Temp: 86F Time: 2:41  Att: 2,544

No comments:

Post a Comment