Blog about my Ballparking Trips and reviews.

Friday, March 18, 2016

Hi Corbett Field

Arizona Wildcats (Pac-12)

No Rating

A photo stop at Hi Corbett in 2010 shows how the main tenants at the time were the Colorado Rockies for Spring Training and the Tucson Toros of the Golden League for summer baseball. 2010 was the last year for both.
                
A nice usher let us in to have a look, as long as we stayed in sight of him. You can see how the stadium was expanded a few times from this one.
2012 saw Hi Corbett alive with Spring Baseball again, as the Arizona Wildcats moved in. Here, a pause between innings versus Stanford.
                    
Firstly, I didn't rate Hi Corbett, because I have only seen a few college games there, still, I did see enough to write a review. Consider it an exchange.

I first saw Hi Corbett the way most people saw it, on the screen as the Spring Home of the Cleveland Indians in the baseball cinema classic Major League. I remember Willie Mays Hayes doing his happy dance outside the front entrance. I first saw it in person in 2010, when we made a photo stop between the Pima Air and Space museum and a quick bite at Jack in the Box. The Rockies were out of town for the day, but due to play the Dodgers the next afternoon. The park is more a collection of different stands than one big unit. There's the main grandstand, under a roof, to large bleachers offset to either side and smaller metal ones beyond that. The Rockies were due to leave for 2011, when they moved to Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, along with the other team in Tucson at that point, the Arizona Diamondbacks. The move ended Hi Corbett's run of 65(!) seasons of Spring Training between the Rockies and Indians. The local independent league team, the Tucson Toros of the Golden League, packed up after 2010, when it was revealed that the Portland Beavers would be moving to town for a 1 year pit stop as the Tucson Padres(they ended up staying for 3). The Padres ended up playing at Tucson Electric Park, although Hi Corbett was their first choice, with negotiations breaking down.

I made a point of travelling back in 2012 when I had seen all the Cactus League parks and wanted to pick up a game. I arrived late thanks to the Phoenix traffic and found out about something I noted in 2010: there isn't much parking. I highly recommend arriving early. The park itself is a nice place to watch a game. There is a relatively thick screen though, with large posts. I found moving up high on the third base side to be a smart move, you could see the whole field well, which is important, because this park is quite large. The college ballgame can be a lot of fun at the right place, Hi Corbett is one of them. The atmosphere was a good mix of baseball and college shenanigans(including a drunken student singing Take Me Out To The Ballgame). Old Park, good crowd, cheap everything, and a product that translates to somewhere between Rookie and Short Season A for the major conferences. I enjoyed my time here and if I was rating it, would give it an 8 or 9. I'm even considering a trip back just for the atmosphere.

Update 2016: I went back here in 2014 for another Wildcat game against Oregon State. I found out about something I didn't notice in 2012, the sun shines into the seats in the afternoon and it is very hot. The 2012 Wildcats ended up winning the College World Series. Pro baseball is giving Tucson another try this summer, with a Pecos League team setting up at Tucson Electric Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment