Blog about my Ballparking Trips and reviews.

Thursday, September 1, 2022

Spitz Stadium

Lethbridge Bulls, Western Canadian Baseball League



There wasn't really an entrance towards home plate, but this was what it looked like.

The first live baseball I'd seen in about two years.

The socially distanced, limited crowd files out.


I actually got back on the road for a day trip in 2021, this ended up being my only game for that whole season. This park used to host minor leaguers from the Dodgers, Expos and Diamondbacks organizations for a little over 20 years, before the affiliated minors moved south. The Bulls, a collegiate summer league team, moved in the next year. The park had been renovated within the previous few years of my visit. The Bulls current league, the Western Canadian Baseball League, was playing a reduced schedule that season, with COVID restrictions still in effect, which meant only 5 teams for the summer. 

It was tough to rate very much, given the unique circumstances for the game. The park is old enough that Andre Dawson played here when in the Expos system, but renovations have kept it looking good. Concession was somewhat limited due to the smaller crowds, which also ended up limiting the atmosphere somewhat. I ended up volunteering in Brooks during this year's summer league season, but if I had the opportunity, I'd be willing to head back down to go here with a bigger crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment