Blog about my Ballparking Trips and reviews.

Sunday, June 24, 2018

LECOM Park

Pittsburgh Pirates, Spring Training
Bradenton Marauders, Florida State League

9/10

The sidewalk was just a little too tight to get a decent shot of the entrance.

This is as good as I did behind home plate. I cropped a guy out, you can still see the top of his head.

Looking in at the grandstand.

Bonus Shot: This could be the best one I have, but it doesn't fit my facade/home/outfield template.

I went to LECOM Park on the last game day of my 2017 Florida trip, after a night game at Port Charlotte and before another one at Fort Myers. This is a pretty old field, having existed as McKechnie Field for numerous years and several other names since initial construction in 1923. The Pirates have been here since 1969, though it's been renovated several times since then. New renovations were completed prior to my visit in 2017. The park shows it's age and is a group of three grandstands set up behind home plate and each dugout.

The atmosphere is more oriented on baseball for sure, as there are flashier parks even in the Tampa area, let alone on the Gulf Coast. People were into the game, but not too into it.  The weather was clear and hot. The park's renovations mean it now has a wrap around concourse, which consists of a boardwalk which I thought looked pretty good.. There are numerous concessions on the first base side, and in center field, they do sell Gator Bites, which I would have had if I'd found them before I had my fish sandwich(which was very good as well).

It's a tough call, but I'd give this place a point for food and the park layout, plus a half point for atmosphere. I'd go back here again in a second, and likely will.

Linescore
2017-03-10
                     123   456   789  RHE
Tampa Bay    001  000   000  142
Pittsburgh      100  000   003  450
Time: N/A  Temp: N/A  Att: 5,804

No comments:

Post a Comment