Blog about my Ballparking Trips and reviews.

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Prince George Citizen Field

Vacant

No Rating


The exterior of Citizen Field just prior to game time

Between innings of Thurston Co. v. Japan

The seating area empty between games.
It was August of 2016 and I had a minor issue. I had progressed well into the season and besides my California trip in May, I had nothing new. Days off from work were all but nonexistent, as vacation was snapped up by everyone but me during that same Cal trip. I was not too sure what to do, when in my random surfings, I noticed that the Pecos League's Roswell Invaders were in the "World Baseball Challenge". My interest piqued, I found that the tournament was in Prince George, BC, about 8 hours away and also included a team from Japan. I picked dates and drove out the morning of the doubleheader I chose to do, arriving just at the first game featuring a rep team from a summer league in Washington and a rep team of Japanese senior amateur players.

It was a clear, hot day, with the Japanese pulling out to an early lead thanks to some fundamental Japanese baseball, and the Evergreen staters, playing with something like a total roster of 11, battling in the late innings to pull back within a few runs, before running out of time. The second game saw the aforementioned Invaders take on a senior league team from Kamloops, the Sun Devils,who held it close, before Roswell showed off some fundamental Pecos League baseball by proceeding to knock every hanging breaking pitch they saw over the fence. Quickly, the game ended via Mercy rule(or "Slaughter Rule" in Japan, maybe a little more accurate).

As for this ballpark, it is Amateur to the core. It's a smaller, raised grandstand, with no fixed seating at all. A temporary structure built from scaffolding had some folding plastic chairs, but that's it. The atmosphere was very laid back, with only around 250 people present. What sounded like a disused train horn was sounded for every home run. The concession was super cheap, with a daily special for the tournament, the big event at this park. Usually, this place sees higher levels of junior and senior baseball, although it's unclear how popular any of that is.

Overall, if I had to rate this park, it'd likely get a 5, if it was lucky, as the facility is alright, but the lack of actual seats is a major flaw. The atmosphere is flat, but not bad, and the concession, while great for a park of this ilk, gets only a half point. Fortunately, this place doesn't get a rating, as while I saw a pro team, I didn't see a pro game. I doubt I'll run out to PG anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment