Blog about my Ballparking Trips and reviews.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

San Manuel Stadium

Inland Empire 66ers, California League

8/10

The exterior is painted an appropriate colour of beige.

I enjoyed my food so much, I didn't do my picture walk until later than usual.

The 66ers in their baby blue home shirts go to bat against Lancaster, lined up the field.


I made the trip down to San Bernardino as part of my Cal League loop in 2016. I had taken in an early start in nearby Rancho Cucamonga, then driven to Yorba Linda and the under renovation Richard Nixon Presidential Library. I arrived well before the first pitch. The park is another early 90's design from Populous, which is why it's laid out almost exactly the same as Lancaster, Peoria and Hohokam Park. The exterior is painted a beige-yellow and comes across as somewhat southwestern. Overall, it's hardly a bad park, but it's hard not to consider it average, especially knowing of it's many cousins in the southwest.

I hit the concession shortly after arrival and opted for the Pulled Pork/Mac and Cheese nachos. At 10 dollars, I expected a slightly smaller than acceptable serving, but no. I ended up with a veritable boat of food, feeling very satisfied that I had gotten what I paid for. Needless to say, concessions here were solid, with the nachos factoring into my top 10 ballpark food items.

Atmosphere here was sedate, as you might expect on a midweek game in may, based on what the cluster of diehards in my section were calling the worst 66er team in memory. An elderly gentleman sitting in front of me claimed to have played for the USC Trojans in his day and piped up with a critique of the home side's strategy every few innings. About half the tickets sold for the game appeared to be redeemed. Still, with either the Dodgers or Angels in town pretty much every night, it's hard for the team to compete.

Overall, I enjoyed my stop here, food was fantastic, but with the park being a one of many in this design, plus the absence of any real crowd, it's hard to rate it too high. 8 it is.

Linescore
2016-05-04                             123    456    789   RHE
Lancaster Jethawks(HOU)       122    000    100   690
Inland Empire 66ers(LAA)        000    000    010   192
Temp: 68F  Time: 2:51  Att: 1,994

No comments:

Post a Comment