Blog about my Ballparking Trips and reviews.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

John Thurman Field

Modesto Nuts, California League

7/10


The home plate fence backs onto a golf course, so one must enter on the sides. This was the 3rd base side, will call is on the other side. This is as fancy an entrance as you'll find.
A clear may evening sees the local nine against Lake Elsinore.


A sparse crowd of hangers on rode it out until the late innings.

This was my first of 6 new Cal League parks in a week in May 2016. I literally landed at SFO, grabbed my rental and went to go fight with Bay Area rush hour to make it to Modesto in time for first pitch. Didn't work. I arrived in the 4th inning and my pictures all appear a little blurry, as does my memory regarding this place, but I will try.

This park is a little older than most of it's counterparts in the cal league, consisting of three separate stands with a bit of a gap between each one, the closest design I can think of is Boise , which funnily enough, is my next update. Seats are newer fold down stadium seats in front of the aisle, harder plastic bucket seats in the stand behind home plate and good old aluminum bleachers down the line. I'd take a point off for the facility itself, as it's a bit behind the curve, without any of the rustic charm that has helped some older parks survive. At least it's still named after a person. It's substantially older than I would have guessed, opened 1955 and renovated in 1997, I would have put it as a 1980's design.

The food helps get this place back up to an average rating. Prices were low, quality was above average. I sadly do not remember what I had, but I do remember enjoying it.

Atmosphere was pretty par for the course, there's really nothing here that jumps out at you as unique, but also nothing that ruins your night either.

Overall, between a short game(2:18) and me being a little late, I only got to see so much here, I'd be tempted to go back to try and fill in the gaps. 7/10 for now.


Linescore
2016-05-03
                                            123    456   789   RHE
Lake Elsinore Storm(SD)       000   000   000    023
Modesto Nuts(COL)               100  200   00x    360
Temp: 81F Time: 2:18 Att: 2,833

No comments:

Post a Comment