Blog about my Ballparking Trips and reviews.

Thursday, December 12, 2019

Comiskey Park(II)

Chicago White Sox, American League

6/10

 

The crowds wait to file in for the afternoon start on the south side.
A Memorial day that I remember seeming hotter than it actually was saw a pretty good crowd take in an afternoon game against Boston.

From this angle, the park actually doesn't look bad.

I got into Chicago right around the start of a Memorial Day matchup with Boston. I'd driven into the early morning after a rain delay in Washington to make it to the outer suburbs of Cleveland, before driving into Wisconsin after this game. This ballpark, currently Guaranteed Rate Field, is located south of Downtown Chicago, near the overpass of I-94 and 35th street. It's built literally across the street from the site of the first Comiskey Park. The crowd here was a few thousand above average for the ChiSox in 2017, owing to Boston being in town and Memorial Day having some nicer weather.

This park was the last one built before Balitmore came along and changed everything. It was also built by Populous, the same architect as over two thirds of the current MLB stadiums, but they hadn't yet made their mold, so this place is missing a few things. The facade is NOT red bricks and only sort of resembles older ballparks. The upper deck has been chided for being a little too high and far from the field. The way the Sox ticket is that upper deck ticket holders cannot go onto the field level at all, so I didn't get to see any of that, but the upper deck didn't have a wrap around concourse, which meant there wasn't any way to see the game from there. I appreciate they've obviously got some kind of issue with people sitting where they haven't paid, but straight up banning the plebians to the upper deck seems harsh.

I ended up with a slice of pizza, which was not deep dish, like at Wrigley a few years before. This would have been ok, but walking on the enclosed concourse, a big gust of wind almost blew it right out of my hand. A helpful person manning some other kiosk yelled, in a Chicago accent, "Ya gotta protect ya slice!" Good to know. A lot of the upper deck concessions were closed and while I don't think any items weren't being sold, I do think the lower bowl had some other ones to choose from. This is another reason it would have been nice to go down there.

The atmosphere was not overly terrible, but still a little flat. The game was tight and the White Sox overachieved by beating the other Sox by just one run. It was only 76 degrees(apparently), but it felt closer to 90 and I think this sapped some enthusiasm.

Overall, the building itself and me being particularly annoyed that I didn't get onto the lower deck costs half a point and the same policy meaning food options were limited for half the stadium gets another half off. This place was the last one built before Camden Yards changed expectations for a ballpark and it shows, although the Sox have made lots of small improvments/adjustments over the last dozen or so seasons. There's no chatter I could find about replacing this place, so renovations would appear to be the way it's going. I wouldn't go out of my way to come back here, but I-94 is a common route for trips east and south for me, so it could work out that this is the best choice. I'll be buying a lower level ticket for sure.


Linescore
2017-05-29
                       123  456  789  RHE
Boston             100  210 000 440
Chicago(AL)    003 000  20x 550
Time: 3:16  Temp: 76F  Att: 27,148

No comments:

Post a Comment