Blog about my Ballparking Trips and reviews.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Wrigley Field

Chicago Cubs, National League

10/10

 Pre game photo number 1 prior to Cubs/Cardinals

 Here's #2.
During game 2 versus the Pirates, this post completely obstructed the pitcher's mound from my seat.
I had the good fortune(and judgement) to go to Wrigley Field for 2 games in 2012, on a Friday Afternoon against the Cardinals and the following Tuesday night against the Pirates, as part of a loop out of Chicago. I did not, however, have the good judgement to download the ton of photos I took before flying home, and when I returned home, my camera wasn't in my suitcase. Did it get swiped at the hotel? Out of my bag? Did I forget it somewhere? The questions haunt me still.... The good news, is unlike any other park from that trip, I did get some cellphone photos, so there's something here.

Anyway, Wrigley Field is simply put, amazing. I haven't been to Fenway Park yet, but it is likely the only one that compares to this. It is a veritable baseball time machine. Walking into the narrow concourse with numerous concession stands dotting the aisles is a real experience. Prior to 2015 at least, the Cubs had managed to keep Wrigley true to it's heritage, minimizing billboards and video screens. The atmosphere is second to none. Red shirts dotted the stands as numerous Cardinal fans from Chicago, St. Louis and all points between turned out for one of the great rivalry matchups in baseball. This happened to a lesser extent with the Pirates. The stadium and atmosphere were a big plus. The only possible knock is the presence of posts. My ticket for the Pittsburgh game was a bit of a let down after a post literally obstructed the pitcher's mound(see my photo).

Whether it was Cub fans living and dying with the Cubs/Cardinals or giving a sarcastic cheer after a recent Cub callup from Iowa (finally) broke up A.J. Burnett's no-hit bid in the 8th inning, it is an atmosphere like few others. San Francisco, St. Louis and Los Angeles(either one) are good comparisons.

And the food.....during the 2nd game especially, I stuffed my face. I cant even remember, but the highlight for me was the Chicago style deep dish pizza. It was like Pizza and cornbread? shortcake? had a love child right there on Addison, try it. Everything I ate here was great.

The only other sort of knock is the lack of parking, which shows the park's age. I took public transit the 2nd game and while it's busy, I do recommend it. The Cubs are still limited to so many night games a year, to avoid the ire of locals, so most games end around the evening rush hour. Still, I was able to get to Gary, in nearby Indiana, for a night game in time for first pitch.

I absolutely LOVE Wrigley. I love it. There's simply no comparison and if you have the opportunity, even if you don't like baseball(does that describe anyone here?) you need to go.

Update 2017:  Looking up the box scores from this game, AJ Burnett did record a 1 hitter in my second game here, which is the closest to a no-hitter I've come. Wrigley did undergo a pretty significant renovation, with ownership having to vaguely threaten to move the team into the suburbs to get it done. While a relatively small LCD screen had been added in 2012, when I went, a much larger one was added during these renos in left center field. Still, the ballpark's character appears to have been respected. I would like to go back soon, for some actual pictures and to see the renos, but wasn't willing to give up new parks on my latest trip through Chicago. This park stays at a 10, with the facility, food and atmosphere well above par. A must see.

Linescores
2012-07-27
                        123  456  789  R  H  E
St. Louis           141  110  100  9  10  1
Chicago(NL)      303  000  000  6  10 1
Temp:77F  Time: 3:03  Att: 40,778

2012-07-31
                         123   456  789  RHE
Pittsburgh           400  000   100  580
Chicago(NL)        000  000   000  013
Temp:75F  Time: 2:50  Att: 33,158

No comments:

Post a Comment