Blog about my Ballparking Trips and reviews.

Saturday, February 27, 2016

AT&T Park

San Francisco Giants, National League

9/10

 

I did not realize my exterior picture was so crummy. Next time.....

The view from the upper deck prior to a game at the 2013 World Baseball Classic.
A decent crowd takes in the Giants/Diamonbacks in 2009.
San Francisco marks the final of the 75 parks that I posted on the initial run through the blog, which took from July 2013 to February 2016, so about 2 and a half years, which is truly incredible looking back. At any rate, I saved a good one for the last one.

This place replaced the oft-maligned Candlestick Park and as if by magic, the Giants, who contemplated leaving the bay area a few times, saw their attendance slightly more than double. It was telling when I was in Oakland one night and the 1st place A's drew 18,000 and the last place Giants drew over 40. The reason, besides the much better, more accessible location is that the place is just a total gem. I have been here 5 times now, I went in 2009 to watch the Giants take on the Diamondbacks, then in 2013 for the two semifinals and final of the World Baseball Classic, then again in 2014, when me and my ladyfriend saw them play the Phillies. In all but the first game, I sat in the upper deck, which I highly recommend here, as there's a nice view of the bay that you can't really see from the ground floor. This park by the bay is well laid out, with the stereotypical redbrick exterior, but nestled in just the right spot. It's easily accessed by the Muni streetcar, or Caltrain from points south. The BART only runs to the area of the ferry building, so you'll need a transfer(or walk) the rest of the way. I drove straight here my first game and parked in a lot next door for 25 dollars, which is particularly expensive, hence most people taking transit.

The 2nd neat thing here is the atmosphere. Giants fans love their baseball and after a few games in previous days with few people, or few interested people in attendance, it was great to see. People knew their players and were pretty vocal in their support of the team, which made the game that much more enjoyable.

The food here is pretty varied, with numerous options, including of course, the local "Anchor Steam" beer, which is an acquired taste, but I do like it. I was all ready to give it flying colours too, but I don't remember a whole ton about it, other than it being passable, so no points here. I did have a cheeseburger on one occasion and perhaps clam chowder another time, but I remember little else.

Overall, a tremendous park with a tremendous atmosphere. Not many memories about the food though and I could use a better shot of the entrance, so....9/10 for now. I may be back here in around a month, so I will take care of both issues then.


No comments:

Post a Comment